Oils and fats
Chemical analysis of oils and fats intended for human consumption, raw materials and by-products of processing
The chemical and product analysis of lipid matrices constitutes the Chemiservice Laboratory's core business.
This is the sector in which the most significant expertise and experience has been gained, both because of the number of years of activity dedicated to it and the special interest taken in this area.
In particular, virgin and refined olive oils and vegetable oils derived from oilseeds (both for human consumption and for other uses) represent the main focus of activity.
The services offered by the laboratory on these types of matrices can be based on a range of objectives. When possible, the laboratory applies officially recognised methods, or validated and accredited internal methods. Almost all of the analyses are accredited.
Objectives of laboratory research:
- To evaluate the product category of an oil on the basis of current legislation
- To assess the conformity of the sample with European regulations on the marketing of olive oils and olive pomace oil (EEC Regulation 2568/91 and subsequent amendments)
- To assess the conformity of the sample with international trade regulations (IOC and CODEX ALIMENTARIUS)
- To assess the conformity of the sample with sales specifications, large-scale organised distribution technical specifications and particular specifications from non-EU countries
- To check the conformity of the sample with current legislation on contaminants (EC Regulation 1881/2006 and subsequent amendments, EC Regulation 149/2008 and subsequent amendments, CODEX)
Main analytical determinations carried out:
- Verification of the quality of olive oils and olive pomace oil:
free fatty acids, number of peroxides, spectrophotometric analysis in UV (K232, K270, delta K), alkyl esters (ethyl and methyl esters), organoleptic assessment of virgin olive oils.
- Verification of the authenticity of olive oils and olive pomace oil:
Methyl esters of fatty acids and trans-isomers of fatty acids, Triacylglycerides with ECN42, Trilinolein, Sterols, Erythrodiol and uvaol, waxes, Stigmastadienes in vegetable oils, Aliphatic alcohols, 2-glyceryl monopalmitate, global method for the determination of tramp oils.
- Other analyses of olive oils and olive pomace oil:
Moisture and volatile substances, impurities, halogenated solvents, total solvents such as n-hexane, determination of diglycerides, piropheophytin, cold index, biophenols (total polyphenols), tocopherols
- Product analysis of oils and fats:
free acidity, number of peroxides, visible spectrophotometry (E420, E453), relative density, refractive index, saponification number, iodine number, unsaponifiables, methyl esters of fatty acids, sterol composition, para-anisidine value, Totox, Kreiss assay.
- Other analytical determinations on olive oils and olive pomace oil, oils and fats:
Rancimat (oxidation stability index), polar compounds in oil for frying, Colour Lovibond, Cold Tests, Total Phosphorus, Gossypol, freezing point, smoke point, flash point, cloud point, allergens, GMOs.
- Verification of the presence of additives and contaminants:
Tocopherols and content of vitamin E, Vitamin A (beta-carotene), Vitamin B6, antioxidants (BHA, BHT, PG, TBHQ), search for pesticide residues (multiresidue and individual active ingredients), copper chlorophyll, heavy metals, residues of solvents, Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons, mineral oils, residues of plasticisers (phthalates), mycotoxins (aflatoxin, zearalenone, ochratoxin, Deoxynivalenol, Fumonisins, Trichothecenes), 3-MCPD, THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol), MOSH/MOAH.