HACCP and food personnel training
All the production and distribution companies in the food sector must guarantee hygienic conditions suitable for product storage through HACCP principles.
HACCP (Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point) is a system that prevents the hazards of food contamination. It is based on a careful process of control and monitoring of the processing of the products during which hazardous situations and contamination of a biological, chemical or physical nature may occur.
The HACCP system is based on seven fundamental principles, the aim of which is to avoid any damage to the health of the consumer, namely:
- identifying any hazards that must be prevented, eliminated or reduced to acceptable levels
- identifying the critical control points at the step or steps at which control is essential to prevent or eliminate a hazard or to reduce it to acceptable levels
- establishing critical limits at critical control points which separate acceptability from unacceptability for the prevention, elimination or reduction of identified hazards
- establishing and implementing effective monitoring procedures at critical control points
- establishing corrective actions when monitoring indicates that a critical control point is not under control
- establishing procedures, which shall be carried out regularly, to verify that implemented measures are working effectively
- establishing documents and records commensurate with the nature and size of the food business to demonstrate the effective application of implemented measures
HACCP serves to empower FSOs and to prevent cases of food contamination. All operators are obliged to ensure high standards of food hygiene and safety through periodic checks that must be reported in a manual.
The manual includes specific pages for the checks that should be carried out on a daily basis (on incoming goods, cleaning operations and refrigerators) and for those carried out less frequently (staff training, amenities and hygiene).
The Food Sector Operators (FSOs) obliged to put in place, implement and maintain permanent procedures based on the HACCP principles are:
- Food retailers, fruit and vegetable retailers, slaughterhouses, butchers, fishmongers, bakeries, ice cream parlours, pastry shops, bars and delicatessens
- Operators in the catering sector
- Canteens (for example canteens in schools or nursing homes)
- All those directly involved in food production: from harvesting to product packaging, from processing to sales to the consumer;
- Companies involved in animal foodstuffs intended for food production
Compilation of the manual and food control are regulated by EC provisions (Regulation EC 178/2002 and Regulation EC 852/2004) and by the “General Guidelines” (drawn up by the European Commission) that facilitate the implementation of the controls and compliance with the principles of the HACCP system.
CHEMISERVICE offers the following services:
- Writing of HACCP manuals;
- Training in Food Hygiene;
- Chemical and microbiological analysis to implement HACCP system;
- Consulting, inspections, legal updates;
- First and second party audits.